Saturday, June 6, 2009

SAM BRADLEY INTERVIEW

I was able to have an interview with Sam Bradley who co-wrote a song on the TWILIGHT soundtrack with his best friend Robert Pattinson :) (The interview took place on the same day that I ran into Ashley Greene and Kellan Lutz!) So the article has just come out in this month's issue of youthink, so go grab one! It has Shia Lebeouf and Megan Fox on the cover :)

Q: Before getting involved in the world of twilight. Did you have any idea of the popularity of this phenomenon?
A: No, not really. I only discovered that once it became official that I was gonna be part of the soundtrack and then I just sort of saw my numbers rise and rise and rise. I did a little bit of research because Rob who is in the movie, he really had no idea. So I did a bit of research and so I kind of explained that it was going to be larger than he thought. So yeah I had a little bit of an idea.

Q: Have you read the books at all?
A: No, it’s on my to-do list. I have to because I really should, seeing as I am asked that a lot. Maybe I’ll do it on some travels.

Q: So can you tell me exactly how you found out that your song would be included on the soundtrack?
A: I just got a phone call. It was a phone call, it was simple. The phone call said that a lawyer is going to call you as soon as I hang up and the song is in. And congratulations.
Christina : “That’s exciting!”
It’s really not…It was for me, I was pretty happy, jumping up and down , peed myself a little…

Q: So, growing up with Robert Pattison, did you ever think that you two would be where you are today?
A: Yes, this is all intentional. Every single little bit of it. Since we were 12. There’s a group of us guys: there’s Marcus Foster, there’s Bobby Long, there’s Tom Storage, there’s rob pattison, there’s a few other people that are going to come out with some wonderful literature I’m sure. We’re all chasing a dream to be able to do what we love and for the world to appreciate what we’re trying to do. You know, what the idea was is that if one of us sort of pushed ahead in their career, then it would help bring some others. And then this would happen, like some of us will go further and bring up the others. And it’ll be like a sort of a hand up, kind of a step-ladder. So yeah, we all have very fulfilling lives.

Q: What was your reaction when you found out that the Twilight soundtrack had hit #1 on the Billboard album chart?
A: My honest reaction, which you can choose to print or not…was “I told you so.” I thought it would. Once I realized sort of the power of the fan base, I just knew it. And I told everyone that I knew that this was just going to be way bigger than anyone could have imagined. And yeah I think it sold something stupid like over 2 and a half million copies world wide, which is pretty unheard of as far as record sales go in this day. So yeah my honest reaction was I told you so, but the one you can print is probably “Oh my goodness, this is unbelievable! This is such a surprise!” Print the first one haha.

Q: What was it like to hear your song in the movie for the first time?
A: Well I was in LA and I went to the premiere and I was sitting with a couple friends and yeah it was good. I had my hands cupped with my friends on either side and they were squeezing very hard and I was just like “GASP! YEAHH! That’s it! That’s the one!” Then the song was over…then I went back to watching the rest of it…

Q: So how did you like the movie?
A: I liked the movie, I liked the movie. I liked everyone’s performances. I’m proud of my friend. I’ve seen it 3 times, so…it doesn’t get old. I’ll probably watch it again…not on purpose…but I would.

Q: Since Twilight, how has your career changed as an artist? What have been the benefits?
A: People are listening! That is the first big change. I’ve been able to record an album, which I have made myself and I went to Paris to do so. My shows are sold out usually. I’m going to be able to go on tour. I have a lot of people within the music industry watching me and looking to see where I go and take my career and if they can get involved…and kind of lurking around…People are sniffin at my door! Haha But yeah I don’t know, lots has changed. But everything you could imagine. I’ve now got a foundation for a music career.

Q: Will you be/ have you been working on any more songs with Robert?
A: Yeah we’ve been writing almost every other night! Not that that means a song every other night…but yeah we’ve been writing lots! We’ve got a really good one actually that I’m really happy with and I’m probably going to play in a few days.

Q: By travelling a lot while you were growing up, how do you think that it has helped you grow as an artist?
A: It’s helped by just being more worldly, having met more people I think has enabled me to write about more and possibly touch on more of my life experiences than what it would have been if I had stayed in one place.

Q: What made you choose to become a musician?
A: Well I was actually trying to be a soccer player when I was 15 and I was doing pretty well. I was playing for a team called Fulham in England, a junior team and I was doing really really well like kind of England trials and stuff. Then I kind of got bullied out of that because I was…yeah I was just bullied regardless because I was…actually, no doesn’t matter haha. And so what happened was…most of my friends were musical and I really wanted to be a part of their musicality, sort of. And I wanted to be involved. And my mom was a musician as well; she’s a singer-songwriter, so I’d always been around it but never myself as a player or singer. And then when I was 17, I just sort of started learning the guitar, by myself, just picking it up occasionally and I wrote a song with 2 chords, and played it at an open mic and I got completely nervous, I got dizzy, and almost kind of fainted and finished my song and realized like everyone was sort of saying wow that was really good. Congratulations I didn’t even know you could sing. And it was really like wow this is so cool and I like people saying that they enjoyed it. And so I just kind of tried a bit harder and got better and better until...you know, I’m still not great but it’ll get there.

So you’ve never taken any lessons?
No…well my guitar skills are something that I need to work on, but as far as song writing goes, it’s alright.

Q: What inspires you to write songs?
A: People…people and experiences.

Q: Why did you choose to come to Vancouver?
A: I didn’t, what happened was…I do love Vancouver, but what happened was we were here on holiday…We went to the Merritt mountain music festival with my mom and my sister. And we have cousins here…my mom’s Canadian. So she sort of said “Should we go look at a house? Let’s look at a house for fun!” and I said “Sure! Let’s look at a house! Let’s go!” I was 17 and we looked at a house and it was on a river and it was amazing and everything was like ooh look at this, this is like a magical fairyland house. And so she said shall we move and me and my sister said ok. And we moved. But it wasn’t really a decision. We couldn’t really afford to live in London anymore it was a bit expensive and I certainly didn’t want to live anywhere else but London in England. But, so yeah it seemed fair that we moved to Canada seeing as my mom had wanted to move here for…well probably since she left. And yeah, that was why.

Q: Who is your biggest inspiration in the music industry?
A: I would say my biggest inspiration is either Tom Waits or Bob Dylan…no…Tom Waits or Van Morrison…no…Tom Waits! Tom Waits.

Q: What are your hopes and expectations for your upcoming album?
A: Well my hopes are that it sells as many as the twilight soundtrack. And that it touches people and people pass it on and that people come out and want to see the live shows and want to really be a part of what I hope is good music and good spirit. In a very non-hippie way, I’m about positivity and I’m about being in touch with yourself and your emotions and the people around you.

Q: Where would you like to see your music career in 5 to 10 years?
A: I’d like to see myself having recorded a few different albums. I’d like to be able to say in 5 to 10 years I’ve played a stadium or 2. I’d like to say that I’m respected and I’ve got my own thing going on. I’d like to say that I could be able to do what I want, when I want…you know what I mean?
Christina: Like control…freedom…
Yeah to have that freedom, to not have to worry. And for that to come from just being musical would be quite spectacular.



He was really funny and great to talk to! Here's the article!




4 comments:

  1. great interview. I just love Sam, he is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, great interview with Sam!!! He's so adorable & I <3 him & his music! Thanks for sharing it!!!

    You should come check us out at The Land of Dreamers! http://www.thelandofdreamers.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the interview. Sam is great! (and witty =) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. This must be word for word; I can just hear him saying this. Great interview! Love ya, Sam.

    ReplyDelete