Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Osheaga 2013 | GROENLAND


During Osheaga I sat down with two of the members of Montreal-based band Groenland. Sabrina Halde and Jean-Vivier Levesque were the founders of the group and eventually added four more musicians to make it complete. They incorporate a lot of different instruments, from the ukulele and keys to the violin and a melodica (which is that little piano that you blow into, see images here). I caught their live set and they were great!

Check out their music video for The Things I've Done:



Here's a bit from our interview:
 
For someone who hasn’t heard your music yet, how would you describe it to them?

Sabrina: We often say it’s orchestral indie pop because of the strings, the ukulele and stuff like that.

What was your reaction when you saw your name on this year’s Osheaga lineup?

S: It was hard to believe. I thought maybe if everything went well, maybe next year if we’re lucky. So this was a surprise.

Jean-Vivier: We weren’t supposed to play but then they added us on. We didn’t know until last minute.

You just released your debut album, The Chase - Do you have a favourite song from it?

S: I like "26 Septembre."

JV: I like "Daydreaming." We weren’t too sure what to do with this song, but it came out well.

Groenland @ Osheaga
Being from Montreal, has the city influenced you at all as artists?

S: Yeah I guess so.

JV: Yeah, we know all the bands from Montreal.

S: We’ve been in the scene for a long time and I think it’s cool that Canadian artists come to Montreal. There’s a lot going on for musicians in Montreal.

What pushes you to keep making music?

S: For me, it’s not really a decision.

JV: You don’t have a choice.

S: You know that’s what you do, that’s what you’re good at.

What advice do you have for aspiring musicians?

S: Trust your gut. If you think that’s what you should do, go all the way.

J: Be hard on yourself.


Keep and eye out for my article on www.faze.ca & be sure to visit http://www.groenlandband.com/

- Christina
Follow my adventures on Twitter: @christinaaa28

No comments:

Post a Comment